"On June 24, 1837, the community inaugurated a synagogue (on the former St. Jakobskapelle) whose premises included a mikveh (closed in 1875) and a school; the house of worship was enlarged in 1866 and renovated in 1893 and again in 1913...On Pogrom Night, rioters burned down the synagogue building, but not before stealing valuable rugs and ritual objects...A memorial designed by Ludwig Kern commemorates the destroyed synagogue."
Yaakov Borut
Copyright: Pogrom Night 1938 - A Memorial to the Destroyed Synagogues of Germany/ germansynagogues.bh.org.il


Sources: Alemannia Judaica, www.alemannia-judaica.de Geschichte der Juden in Speyer, Bezirksgruppe Speyer des Historischen Vereins der Pfalz, 1981., The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, Shmuel Spector [Ed.], Yad Vashem and the New York University Press, 2001. www.jgs-online.de/html/geschichte.html

Have additional information, photos, connections, or other resources to contribute?

Help Us in the race against time to time document Jewish history!