First Jewish presence: 1814; peak Jewish population: 243 in 1871; Jewish population in 1933: 90Guttstadt (present-day Dobre Miasto, Poland) was home to a fairly large Jewish community. The community, founded in 1814, established a cemetery that year; a synagogue—many local townspeople participated in the festive inauguration ceremony—in 1855; and a Jewish school in 1870. The school, located inside the synagogue building, at one point had an enrollment of 80 students. Jews and Christians coexisted peacefully in Guttstadt, with four Jews serving on the city council. The Jewish population dwindled swiftly after the Nazis rose to power; by 1928, only 48 Jews lived in the town. On Pogrom Night, the synagogue was burned to the ground, after which the ravaged building was torn down. One Jew, presumably married to an ethnic German, lived in Guttstadt in 1942. Little else is known about what happened to the Jews of Guttstadt after Pogrom Night.
Copyright: Pogrom Night 1938 - A Memorial to the Destroyed Synagogues of Germany/ germansynagogues.bh.org.il
NotesSources: The Encyclopedia of Jewish Life Before and During the Holocaust, Shmuel Spector [Ed.], [publisher] Yad Vashem and the New York University Press, 2001., Lexikon der jüdischen Gemeinde in Deutschen Sprachraum, Klaus Dieter-Alicke, [publisher] Gütersloher Verlagshaus, 2008.
|Date Added||May 20, 2020|
|City||Dobre Miasto (Guttstadt)|
|Exhibits||Pogrom Night 1938 - A Memorial to the Destroyed Synagogues of Germany|
Have additional information, photos, connections, or other resources to contribute?
Help Us in the race against time to time document Jewish history!