First Jewish presence: 1797/98; peak Jewish population: 69 in 1895 (8.25% of the total population); Jewish population in 1933: unknownSeibersbach’s synagogue, built on 230 square meters of land on Soonwaldstrasse, was built at some point during the years 1850 to 1860; after the synagogue burned down in 1913, a new house of worship was built on its original foundations. The Jewish cemetery in Am Eichenhang was consecrated in the 18th century. From 1933 to 1938, Jews from nearby Schweppenhausen, whose community had become too small to conduct services, attended the Seibersbach synagogue. On the afternoon of Pogrom Night, SA men broke into the synagogue, demolished its interior and burned its ritual objects. Later that month, on November 18, 1938, the synagogue was sold to a private buyer for 2,674 Reichsmarks. At least 11 former Jewish residents of Seibersbach perished in the Shoah. During the 1950s, the former synagogue building was remodeled as an inn; its original foundations and south side have been preserved.
Esther Sarah Evans
NotesSources: Alemannia Judaica, www.alemannia-judaica.de “und dies ist die Pforte des Himmels”: Synagogen Rheinland-Pfalz/Saarland, Will Schmid, Stefan Fischbach and Ingrid Westerhoff [Eds.], publication initiated by Joachim Glatz and Meier Schwarz, [publisher] Phillipp Von Zabern, 2005., Yad Vashem’s Central Database of Shoah Victims’ Names, www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/IY_HON_Entrance
|Date Added||May 19, 2020|
|Exhibits||Pogrom Night 1938 - A Memorial to the Destroyed Synagogues of Germany|
Have additional information, photos, connections, or other resources to contribute?
Help Us in the race against time to time document Jewish history!